Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dear Eclipse



I stopped by to see my good friend, Eclipse, the other day.

Walking into his house I saw him stooped over the keyboard crying like a baby.  "What is it, dude!".  He just pointed at the screen.

Over his shoulder I could see his open gmail inbox and the email that was bringing him down.


Dear Eclipse, 

We've been together a long time - almost ten years.  And I've mostly loved it.  You made me more productive and I've looked forward to our anniversary every June and the wonderful gifts you give me. 
Without you I'd still be writing Hello World with notepad.
But lately, things have changed.  I hate to sound shallow but you've gained a little weight.  You're puffy and bloated.  You use to be so agile and spry.  But lately, when I save files, it seems like I have to wake you up just to do a little validation.  You're just not focused on me anymore.  What's on your mind?
And so many plugins just to do something useful.  Egit, Maven, Android. The list goes on and on.  You've suddenly become so high maintenance.
I'm sorry to have to tell you this - but I've met someone else.  He's sublime.  Slender, sexy and responsive.  Once I work with him a little, get him some better code completion - I hope he'll be perfect. 
But maybe you deserve one last chance.  One more release.  Get it right or I'll be releasing you!
Love, Ursela

Eclipse turned to look at me.  "What should I do? Start working out?  Dress better?  I can't lose her."

I looked away.  He had been getting a little sloppy lately.  But he's my friend - I had to help.  "I'll stop by tomorrow.  We'll go for a run.  It's not too late."

As I walked out the door I looked back.  There was Eclipse, working at his keyboard as always, seeming a little happier - but munching on a donut.





No comments:

Post a Comment